Appeal for Uttarakhand Flood ReliefJune 24, 2013
In June 2013, a multi-day cloudburst centered on the North Indian state of Uttarakhand caused devastating floods and landslides in India’s worst natural disaster since the 2004 tsunami. More than 5000 deaths are confirmed and many more are feared to be lost. An estimated 4000 villages have been affected.
For latest reports from the ground, click here
The International Association for Human Values (IAHV), in partnership with the Art of Living Foundation (AOLF) has established a disaster relief fund to provide humanitarian assistance to the victims of the floods in Uttarakhand. Your contributions will be used to provide immediate material relief, trauma relief and long term rehabilitation.
The IAHV – Art of Living volunteers began relief work on June 17th at the Jolly Grant Airport at 4 am. They worked in coordination with military and the disaster management team, the Government of Uttarakhand to send relief materials and food to the pilgrims who were stuck in different areas. Volunteers have been also providing much needed trauma relief to the survivors as well as the paramilitary forces involved in rescue operations.
Art of Living intervention so far:
- Setup 5 base camps for coordination and distribution of relief material
- Setup 23 relief camps for distributing food packets, blankets, baby food, transit shelters etc.
- 100 truck loads of relief material dispatched within 3 days containing food supplies, blankets, tents and medicines.
- Providing medical assistance at all the relief camps by Art of Living volunteer doctors.
- Managing all the loading, distribution of relief material at Jolly Grand Airport in assistance with the Indian armed forces, NDRF and ITBP.
- Provided trauma relief to more than 1500 affected people at Harsil and Dharasu camps
- Provided trauma relief to 50 personnel from the Border Road Organization (BRO) involved in relief operations.
IAHV is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. All contributions are fully tax-deductible.
Please mail checks to: IAHV, 2401 15th Street NW, Washington DC 20009
IAHV and AOLF have actively responded to natural disasters and other traumatic situations around the globe. In the past, IAHV & Art of Living volunteers offered relief, rehabilitation and trauma relief to the people affected by the natural calamities around the world. Together with Volunteer for a Better India, we have been working morning to evening with the Paramilitary on Uttarakhand flood relief since day one.